5.08.2012

A cookie recipe and the start of bedroom remodel

Bedroom remodel has begun! We ordered the headboard and mattress a few days ago, and decided to go with the King. 

 


We went sheet shopping (any one else super particular about sheets?? ugh.) on Sunday afternoon and got 2 super soft sets. Then I ordered our bedding from Pottery Barn. On our current queen we have the Pottery Barn Cole Stripe bedding, which I have absolutely loved. I have loved it so much that I almost stayed with our queen because I wanted to keep the bedding (it has been discontinued.) Anyhow, it will go on the guest bed once we finish the basement guest room. On the up side, it was dupioni silk and dry clean only...which wasn't always convenient with kids.

So, we set out to find a new set. Since bedding is one area Jeff and I don't usually have the same taste, it is usually a long battle. But, we surprisingly agreed, and decided to go with the same porcelain blue, taupe, and white colors that our old duvet had. The duvet and standard pillow cases we picked are a solid taupe. They are the Velvet Linen duvet and shams from Pottery Barn. Super soft velvet on top, linen on the back side. (Below)

The quilt and euro shams will be the Pottery Barn Essential Quilt in porcelain blue. (Below.)
   


I am excited to get it all here and put it together. Then the dresser refinishing project begins!


In other news... my hubby's aunt makes the BEST, really, the best, shortbread cookies. I have loved them for years, asked for the recipe countless times, and finally I got my hands on it. So... I'm sharing it with you. Try them, leave me a message and let me know what you thought. My favorite way to eat them is to make heart shaped cut outs and dip one side of the heart in melted chocolate. Sooo delish! :)



English Shortbread Cookies


INGREDIENTS

  • 1# butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1/2 cup rice flour
  • 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
  • 3 1/2 cups flour
Blend butter with rice flour & confectioner’s sugar until light & fluffy. Gradually add in flour. Shape into 2 discs, wrap in waxed paper & refrigerate for about 30 minutes. Roll out on heavily floured surface (I use a sheet of waxed paper on top of the dough so that the rolling pin doesn’t stick to the dough. Roll out to approximately 1/4 inch thickness, cut out with desired shapes. Bake @ 350 for 10 – 12 minutes, until golden brown. Let cookies sit on cookie sheet for a few minutes before removing to totally cool – they are too soft at first & will fall apart.
OPTIONS
  • Sometimes I put 2 cookies together with raspberry jam between them for a pretty sandwich cookie (if you do this, let them sit out over night so the jam has a chance to harden or else they slide all over the place
  • I have also dipped them in melted milk chocolate & also frosted them with a confectioner’s sugar glaze
  • My last “experiment” was to gently sprinkle them with colored sanding sugar & gently pushed the sugar into the cookies – very pretty presentation.



No comments:

Post a Comment